The entertainment industry and mass consumption have become the backbone of modern society. Some people can no longer imagine their lives without computer, newfangled phones, all kinds of technical devices, not to mention shopping and food abuse. The consumer society is responsible for the stability of our life and is the ideology of the capitalist world. What should we do, parents who think about their children’s future, who want “the reasonable, kind and eternal” for them?
How to educate not a consumer, whose formation is aimed at all the technical power of cinema, animation, show business, toy production, etc., but a person who is able to critically comprehend the information presented to him or her? How to instill the skills of conscious perception of information into our children?
The question is extremely complex. You will not solve the problem by throwing a TV set and showing only cartoons selected by yourself. I came across this on my own experience. My daughter’s grandmother stubbornly refuses to listen to me and accept what I try to convey to her about the malicious content of some products of modern animation, both Western and Russian. A lot of our grandmothers, who were brought up on TV, as I have seen, are still not able to accept that television is now deliberately destructive. We can understand them as they grew up in a different time, in which propaganda was structural, and the goal of the owners of large media was not the gradual “moronization” of the nation. Now time is different, and we must understand this.
Today, every responsible parent should realise that the state does not perform the function of educator, our children are raised by advertisers, banks, multinational corporations, and other guys who are not interested in our children’s smartness, kindness, and independence.
It’s important to understand that conscious parenting is now a choice you make day-to-day as you devote time to your child. If you do not devote time to your child and leave him or her to the mercy of the above-mentioned companies-this is your choice, but it is different and with different consequences.
Therefore, in order to form a conscious perception of information, you need, of course, to start with yourself. It is in the first place in importance. Review your values, views, and behaviour. If you want your child to watch TV a little, don’t watch it yourself. Don’t waste time scrolling through the news on social networks, it’s not much use, and it takes a lot of time that you could spend usefully with your child and family.
Secondly, strengthen relationships in the family, with your wife, and with your husband. You cannot blame “Masha and the Bear”, “Peppa pig”, if in the family you endlessly quarrel and humiliate each other. Read good psychological books, if they help you, if there are problems and you cannot cope with them-contact a psychologist to save your marriage and good relationships. Cartoons have nothing to do with it if the family bears the stamp of destructiveness.
Thirdly, if your child asks you to watch a cartoon or a movie that you think is harmful, do not refuse him or her. Offer to watch together. After all, in this way you can really separate the wheat from the chaff, take a critical approach to viewing and explain your child what is wrong with this work. Also, your child will share with you his or her thoughts about what you viewed. This is an invaluable communication experience and, again, your choice.
Fourthly, unfairly forgotten reading to your children, even to adult children. Reading with your family is also one of the possibilities of spending time without a TV set.A book is a wonderful world of creativity and imagination, as well as a tool for educating a little person. If you want to show less cartoons to children, you must provide children with an alternative, which can be books. It is completely wrong that parents for whom it was commonplace to read fairy tales to their little children before going to bed, stop doing this when they reaches 7 years old. Like, he or she has already gone to school and has learned to read. At this age, it is still quite difficult for children to master any texts, and as a result, they have a misunderstanding of what they read, which discourages them from reading. And then parents wonder why their children do not like books. Lazy, probably. Of course, it is easier for children to watch a cartoon, because there is absolutely no need to strain. Therefore, I encourage parents to read their children as long as possible, to dive together into the wonderful world of adventure instead of Evening Urgant programs, instead of Instagram live broadcasts. If children do not have time to read books at school, read them: “Dubrovsky”, “The Captain’s Daughter”, “The Inseparable Twins” by A. Pristavkin, Gogol’s novels, etc. Children will read if they will be supported by mom and dad.
Dear parents, the decision is yours! Children are only your choice and what it will be will determine your and your children’s future.
Source: VK Group “What is Good 2.0”
As most parents know well, young children do not “filter” what they view or listen to at all. They, like sponges, absorb everything from the world around them, because nature has arranged it in this way in order to survive in this world. Children must understand what is what, and this means that they need to learn, they need to copy adults, their behaviour, children need to learn stereotypes in order to rely on them in building their own life in future.
Human is a collective being, human respects mass trends, believing that they are worthy of trust, this is due to the internal mechanisms of the psyche. Previously, people survived only in groups, being expelled was considered to lose the chance of life, so the depths of our psyche store the postulate that it is dangerous to go against the opinion of the majority.
I will not speculate about this phenomenon. I have given this example in order to show that children perceive TV as part of the big world, society, and therefore, the goal of watching TV is to teach how to live, to transmit successful behaviour algorithms – this is how a child unconsciously perceives it.
A kid learns by looking at this screen and imitates cartoon characters, adopting their behaviour, learning skills of how to behave in similar situations, or in general in life.
But now on television and in cartoons, in particular, there is quite a lot of negativity, a huge number of frankly harmful stereotypes. What should we do?
It is necessary to teach children to perceive information consciously. I want to note that this skill can be instilled in older children, for example, up to 3-4 years old it will hardly be possible to do this, so it is desirable that children of this age in general, as they say, should not be allowed to watch TV. The psyche will be healthier. It is not natural for children to remain motionless at all, as it happens when watching any programs or cartoons. Children should explore the world, run, jump, bite snow and icicles, stick their tongues to metal slides in winter, watch the growth of grass and flowers during early spring, enjoy the sun, they should be touched by the rain and admire the flight of birds and soaring clouds in the sky.
Of course, over time, children will somehow “stick” to the screens, so let this “stick” happen as late as possible. This is my personal opinion.
Let’s think how you can help your child consciously perceive information.
- Watch cartoons, movies, programs, even listen to music with your children.
- Choose a strategy when you should turn on with comments: in the course of perception of information or immediately after it. Both strategies have a place to be. For example, if you explain the reasons for characters’ actions at once to your child, then no character will escape attention, but on the other hand, your child will not get pleasure from contemplating or listening to the content. If you analyse what you’ve seen and heard immediately after full acquaintance with a work, i.e. after the end of the cartoon, movie, program, etc., your child will be able to fully perceive everything he saw and heard, it will be more pleasant for him to answer questions, he will enjoy watching, listening, but there is a chance that any character or plot twist will be missed. In addition, there is a danger that the child will still “catch” some harmful stereotype. In my opinion, and I do so, it is reasonable to use both approaches, both strategies, so that already during the viewing the baby can, as they say, “turn on the head”.
- After viewing, tell your children that any content is made by someone, and this person or group of people has certain tasks that they solve through this cartoon, movie, program, etc.and ask what do you think these people solve? Of course, children will not respond, but this is not necessary, it is important that they switch from consumption to comprehension.
- Then tell your children what each character’s image carries. Evaluate the plot, considering it from the perspective of traditional values.
- Build a dialogue so that children could be included in the discussion. For example. Does the boy have to be brave and strong? Children: yes. Further. And how do you think this boy is strong or weak (look at the character). Children: weak. Why is he so weak, you know? Children: No. Because he is drawn in that way, because his creators don’t want you to be strong and brave. So that none of you (if the conversation with boys), when you grow up, could not protect yourself, your homeland, those who are weaker. Let me show a brave boy, and at this time we turn on a Soviet cartoon, which demonstrates courage and strength. You can show photos of great-grandfathers who fought during the Second World War and say that if they were cowards, the enemy would have captured us all and offended us. Then we ask the children to compare whatthey saw in Soviet cartoons with what is happening on the screen, and always remember that artists and screenwriters are behind the drawn characters. In my case, it works, that’s how I explain video content to my children.
- We watch good content with children and analyse the plot and characters, and at the same time we say that this is “good”.
- Tell children that whenever they watch something on TV, it is necessary to compare it with good content previously viewed, i.e. you need to give a good sample, it is important, that you have something with what you can compare. Of course, you will have to download a bunch of cartoons and movies from the Soviet era, you have to have a strong-willed decision to limit the viewing of modern content, but then, when children can distinguish between “bad” and “good”, “useful” and “harmful” it will become easier.
Images work better than words
Source: VK group “What is good 2.0”
Nowadays the issue of forming children’s skills of conscious perception is one of the most important, I would say that this is almost the only way to solve the problem of countering the total moronization of the younger generation. More and more children in our time are under the threat of forming new destructive behavioural stereotypes that are loaded into their heads bypassing consciousness and not only with the help of the internet and TV. The processes influencing through the media are long-lasting, and in order to recognise the managerial impact of the invisible hand that takes away our future, it is necessary to develop the skill of conscious perception of information, first of all, in ourselves.
In my opinion, addressing the issue of children’s development in the context of raising awareness and developing critical thinking is a global problem. The issue should be discussed and always be on the agenda of schools, parents, and, of course, the Ministry of Education, as we are dealing with a systemic issue that requires a step-by-step approach to its solution.
The first link in solving this problem is the development of conscious perception skills in adults – those who will educate and teach children. Next, it is necessary to raise the issue of combating the school bureaucracy, with which teachers are bombarded every day, and also to demand an increase in wages in school educational institutions. To increase the level of training of new teachers, along with solving the issue of their employment. Include such fundamental and important disciplines as” Logic “and” Psychology” in the school curriculum, as once in the USSR. After the training of highly qualified teachers and personnel of managerial significance, the real struggle against false values that dominate the minds of our children will begin.
But not everything is so simple. We see that many people have been sounding the alarm for a long time and the changes are still purely negative. We see that some people give up, because enthusiasm is a perishable product. Therefore, we do not need naked enthusiasm, we need a goal, or rather a VECTOR OF GOALS! So, the position I have described will be based on one of the most difficult aspect – work on oneself. We need, even must, understand what children cannot understand, and explain and teach. At the initial stage, the skill of conscious perception is needed, first of all, by adults. This is an adequate and reliable development of events in the direction of the formation of humanity! Imagine that we are on a plane where depressurisation was: first put the mask on yourself, then on your child.
The development of skills of conscious perception of information in children at the school level is also a long-playing process, and not yet controlled. The future must be fought for. Our cause is just! The victory will be ours!
Source: VK group “What is good 2.0”
Translated by Xenia Shmonina